Softball/Mens Fastpich Softball

In the case of full bases, the runner on third was tagged by catcher and the ball fell off from catchers glove, is that out or safe?

Hi Keitson,

It is a judgment call, If F2 had secure possession of the ball AT THE TIME of the tag, the runner is out. Dropping it after the tag does not negate the out. There is no rule requiring the fielder to "finish" or "complete" a tag.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)