Softball/softball grade elevation rules

QUESTION: What if any height/elevation rules for high school fastpitch softball are there? I know baseball is pitchers rubber 10" above home plate. In softball what is the rule from a benchmark of 0 being = or flat. Is the pitching rubber to be higher? Lower? And what is the rule or norm?

ANSWER: Hi chris,

the entire field is flat 0' inc the pitcher plate.

QUESTION: what? Im in commercial landscape and irrigation and have built a 100 or so high school softball fields throughout the 18-25 years. To say their at bench (0) is wrong. Fields flow at 1.5-2% depending on the architect. I buikd according to architect specifications when laser grading. My question isn't field dimensions but rather what is the % difference or inches difference in high school softball from pitchers rubber to home plate? More specifically what rules govern any given coach from raising/lowering home plate or pitching rubber from year to year to accomodate for a rise or fall ball the pitcher prefers?

hi chris,

I thought you were asking if softball had a pitcher's mound like baseball, the answer is no. All defensive players stand at about the same level as F1.

I have never seen anything like you're asking done. The pp by rule must be level with the ground, and the ground should be level with hp.  Raising or lowering hp if you could do it would change nothing, ball or strike depends where it crosses the batter, not the height it crosses the plate.

Other than that I can't answer you, I'm an umpire, I call balls and strikes, safes and out.  I'm not an expert in field design.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)