Softball/Third base coach interference

NSA Rules...Third base coach yells "time" with the intent to cause an illegal pitch while the pitcher was in their motion. He wanted time for no other reason. Is this verbal interference? If not, what power does the umpire have to stop this sort of unsportsmanlike conduct?

Hi Kurt,

I can't give you a nsa answer as I am not an expert in their rules, however here is the ASA answer and i can't imagine nsa has much different.

ASA 6-10-e No player, manager or coach shall call time, employ any other word or phrase or commit any act while the ball is live for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit an illegal pitch  A warning shall be issued....and a repeat of this type...shall result in the offender being ejected from the game.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)