Softball/appeals

Question
High school softball. With 2 outs and a runner at third base in the bottom of the seventh inning the score is tied and the batter has a 3-2 count.  The pitch is called ball 4 but the ball is a wild pitch and the winning run comes in from third base. In the joy of winning the game the batter joins in the and does not go to touch first base. At what point can the defense appeal that the batter runner is out for not touching first base. We know the batter can be called out for entering dead ball territory but if the defense appeals and the batter is still in live ball territory must we allow her the chance to go to first.

Answer
Hi PJ,

An interesting question.  You have little choice here, you have to wait for them to enter dead ball territory before the umpires leave the field or your infield has left fair territory.  As long as they are in live ball territory you have to wait as they can advance to 1st.  Remember no one can physically assist them to 1st.

mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose