Softball/Ball thrown into dugout

Question
R1 on first, no outs.  Line drive caught by F4.  R1 is off base not having tagged up.  Before R1 can return to first base, F4 throws ball past F3 into dugout.   Umpire calls dead ball and awards R1 third base.    I think R1 should be awarded 2nd base: the base he is going to (first) and one base more (second).  What do you think is the proper call?

Follow on question.  Same scenario as above, but it is F9 who catches ball in the outfiled and throws past F3 into dugout.  Again ump awards R1 third base.  I think R1 should only be awarded 2nd for same reason as above.  Again, what do you think is the proper call?

These two scenarios actually occured in our over 50 league within days of each other.

Answer
Hi Brian,

In all orgs except 1 (starts with a U) direction of the runner has no bearing on the award.  It is 2 bases from the last base touched at the time of the throw.  R1 had already touched 1st, so in both cases the award is 3rd.  Also in both cases R1 must retouch 1st before taking the award.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose