Softball/Ball thrown into dugout

R1 on first, no outs.  Line drive caught by F4.  R1 is off base not having tagged up.  Before R1 can return to first base, F4 throws ball past F3 into dugout.   Umpire calls dead ball and awards R1 third base.    I think R1 should be awarded 2nd base: the base he is going to (first) and one base more (second).  What do you think is the proper call?

Follow on question.  Same scenario as above, but it is F9 who catches ball in the outfiled and throws past F3 into dugout.  Again ump awards R1 third base.  I think R1 should only be awarded 2nd for same reason as above.  Again, what do you think is the proper call?

These two scenarios actually occured in our over 50 league within days of each other.

Hi Brian,

In all orgs except 1 (starts with a U) direction of the runner has no bearing on the award.  It is 2 bases from the last base touched at the time of the throw.  R1 had already touched 1st, so in both cases the award is 3rd.  Also in both cases R1 must retouch 1st before taking the award.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)