Softball/Batters feet in box

Hi Mark, What is the rule on batters feet when hitting the ball?

Hi Brad,

The batter is out when an entire foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box at the time the ball makes contact with the bat. Anytime any part of the foot is touching hp at the time the ball makes contact with the bat the batter is out.  Both are dead balls.

Any part of the foot touching any part of the line is considered in the box.  A foot in the air at the time of contact and the other foot in the box or touching the line is considered still in the box.

During the pitch the batter may not leave the box and then return to the bb and make contact with the ball.  That is also a dead ball, out.

Also  before a pitch the batter must have both feet completely within the lines of the bb.  A foot may touch the line but no part of the foot may be outside the lines,

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)