Softball/Runner hit by batted ball

Hi Dr. Ambrose,

We have runners on first and second with no one out. Batter hits a ground ball to the right side. The runner on first is struck with the ball in front of the second baseman. The runner is out and the batter is awarded first base. What is the proper placement of the runner that was on second base? Back to second or to third? Thanks

Hi Mary,

With interference, we have dead ball, that runner is out, b-r is awarded 1st base and all other return to the last base touched at the time of the interference unless forced.  So unless R1 had touched 3rd at the time of interference ( which I doubt), they return to 2nd.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)