Softball/Runner hit by batted ball

Question
Hi Dr. Ambrose,

We have runners on first and second with no one out. Batter hits a ground ball to the right side. The runner on first is struck with the ball in front of the second baseman. The runner is out and the batter is awarded first base. What is the proper placement of the runner that was on second base? Back to second or to third? Thanks

Answer
Hi Mary,

With interference, we have dead ball, that runner is out, b-r is awarded 1st base and all other return to the last base touched at the time of the interference unless forced.  So unless R1 had touched 3rd at the time of interference ( which I doubt), they return to 2nd.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose