Softball/ASA softball

Dr. Mark, bases loaded, hit to outfield, runner on third scores and hangs around home plate, interferring with cather when ball thrown home for runner from second. What do we have?
1)Interference on runner that scored from third?
2)Dead ball, runner that was on second called out, and rest of runners go back to last base touched at time of throw from outfield.

Hi Jan,

When a player that has already scored interferes w/ a defensive's players opportunity to make a play on another runner, we have a dead ball, runner closest to home is out and all other runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)