Softball/international tie breaker

top of extra inning, a runner was not placed on second base. ball was put into play where batter batted in to an out. should the batted ball be called dead ball and runner put on second base and batter rehits? do you put runner on second with one out? if batter hits homerun do you count 2 runs?

hi dale,

it's just called the tie breaker rule, I don't know where the 1st part came from.

it's the responsibility of the umpire and scorer to notify the teams as to which player starts the 1/2 inning at 2nd base.  Obviously that didn't happen, plus where's the coach here?  There's no rule on how to handle this and the "god" rule has to be used.  Different umpires might rule differently.  What's fair here to both teams?  The defense has an out and could have R1 advanced on the out???

The umpire messed up and the offensive coach should know better.  I'm putting some of this on the coach.  I wouldn't do a "do-over"  I would probably put a runner at 2nd w/ 1 out.  On a hr I would probably score 2 runs.  This shouldn't happen and maybe another senior, experienced umpire will add to this w/ something better.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)