Softball/international tie breaker

Question
top of extra inning, a runner was not placed on second base. ball was put into play where batter batted in to an out. should the batted ball be called dead ball and runner put on second base and batter rehits? do you put runner on second with one out? if batter hits homerun do you count 2 runs?

Answer
hi dale,

it's just called the tie breaker rule, I don't know where the 1st part came from.

it's the responsibility of the umpire and scorer to notify the teams as to which player starts the 1/2 inning at 2nd base.  Obviously that didn't happen, plus where's the coach here?  There's no rule on how to handle this and the "god" rule has to be used.  Different umpires might rule differently.  What's fair here to both teams?  The defense has an out and could have R1 advanced on the out???

The umpire messed up and the offensive coach should know better.  I'm putting some of this on the coach.  I wouldn't do a "do-over"  I would probably put a runner at 2nd w/ 1 out.  On a hr I would probably score 2 runs.  This shouldn't happen and maybe another senior, experienced umpire will add to this w/ something better.

Mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose