Softball/pitching circle out

Runner on first, two outs.  Ground ball back to pitcher in the circle. Hits her glove and roles behind her in the circle close to the pitching rubber and stops rolling.  She looks around for the ball and doesn't see it right away.  Runner on first goes to second and STOPS one step past second after rounding the base.  Pitcher picks up ball and runner makes a head turn to third (not a motion to run} while she picked up the ball and looks at runner at second and runner steps back on second base.  Pitcher turns around to get ready for next batter.  Umpire signals runner at second base out.  Correct call?

hi galen,

the 1st thing all good umpires understand is that the LBR is not a "gotcha" rule.

Per your OP R1 rounded 2nd and stopped, and then returned to 2nd as the pitcher gained possession of the ball.  If that's correct I have nothing and this was not the correct call.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)