Softball/pitching circle out

Question
Runner on first, two outs.  Ground ball back to pitcher in the circle. Hits her glove and roles behind her in the circle close to the pitching rubber and stops rolling.  She looks around for the ball and doesn't see it right away.  Runner on first goes to second and STOPS one step past second after rounding the base.  Pitcher picks up ball and runner makes a head turn to third (not a motion to run} while she picked up the ball and looks at runner at second and runner steps back on second base.  Pitcher turns around to get ready for next batter.  Umpire signals runner at second base out.  Correct call?

Answer
hi galen,

the 1st thing all good umpires understand is that the LBR is not a "gotcha" rule.

Per your OP R1 rounded 2nd and stopped, and then returned to 2nd as the pitcher gained possession of the ball.  If that's correct I have nothing and this was not the correct call.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose