Softball/coaches interferance penalty

Question
8U game,  no outs, runners on 2nd & 3rd,  batsman hits to deep right field,  runners on 2nd & 3rd round to score, batsman after getting to first is pushed by coach to run to second base, after first runner rounds home plate.   Obvious interference and batter should be out.  But umpire called "Dead Ball"  so batsman was out and runners returned to 2nd & 3rd base,  no score.

is that the right call?

Answer
Hi Steve,

This in NOT "coaches interference" but it is "assisting a runner" ASA 8-7-e.  What we would have is calling the runner out immediately and the ball remains live.

So everybody is incorrect calling it interference and the umpire is incorrect calling a dead ball, out and putting the runners back.  The offense could have brought out the "P" word here if they knew the correct rule.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose