Softball/coaches interferance penalty

8U game,  no outs, runners on 2nd & 3rd,  batsman hits to deep right field,  runners on 2nd & 3rd round to score, batsman after getting to first is pushed by coach to run to second base, after first runner rounds home plate.   Obvious interference and batter should be out.  But umpire called "Dead Ball"  so batsman was out and runners returned to 2nd & 3rd base,  no score.

is that the right call?

Hi Steve,

This in NOT "coaches interference" but it is "assisting a runner" ASA 8-7-e.  What we would have is calling the runner out immediately and the ball remains live.

So everybody is incorrect calling it interference and the umpire is incorrect calling a dead ball, out and putting the runners back.  The offense could have brought out the "P" word here if they knew the correct rule.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)