Softball/HBP while swinging

Question
U16 ASA tournament - Batter has 2 strikes and while swinging at strike 3 the ball hits her hand and not the bat and the ball rolls forward into fair territory. Umpire calls her out on a strikeout, coach has her run to 1st base not knowing if it is HIt by Pitch or even a dropped 3rd strike. Umpire's call is a strikeout and then a dead ball and there is no Hit by Pitch or dropped 3rd strike. Is the the correct call?

Answer
Hi Pete,

it is the correct call.  the hands are NOT part of the bat and if swung at it is a dead ball, strike. Doesn't matter if it goes fair or foul. In this case since there were two strikes it is a dead ball, strike three and the batter is out.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose