Softball/HBP while swinging

U16 ASA tournament - Batter has 2 strikes and while swinging at strike 3 the ball hits her hand and not the bat and the ball rolls forward into fair territory. Umpire calls her out on a strikeout, coach has her run to 1st base not knowing if it is HIt by Pitch or even a dropped 3rd strike. Umpire's call is a strikeout and then a dead ball and there is no Hit by Pitch or dropped 3rd strike. Is the the correct call?

Hi Pete,

it is the correct call.  the hands are NOT part of the bat and if swung at it is a dead ball, strike. Doesn't matter if it goes fair or foul. In this case since there were two strikes it is a dead ball, strike three and the batter is out.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)