Softball/Look Back Rule

14U tourney playing ASA rules. Batter walks and continues to 2nd base non stop as catcher returns ball to pitcher standing in the circle.. Runner on third is is 3 feet off the base when B/R goes to 2nd not moving just watching the runner. Umpire calls runner on 3rd out claiming that once the runner reached 1st base and the pitcher had the ball in the circle she had to return or go home immediately. Pitcher made no attempt on either runner, just readied herself for the next pitch. Was that the correct call and where can I find that in the ASA rulebook

Hi Mary,  

yes the PU was absolutely correct and on top of the game, that is a look back violation.  Once the pitcher has control of the ball in the circle and the b-r reaches 1st base the LBR goes in to effect.  

If R1 was stopped, R1 must immediately proceed to the next base or return to their original base unless F1 makes a play on another runner, leaves the circle, does not control the ball in their hand(s) or drops the ball.  

The responsibility is completely on the runner. At 14U  players should be well aware of the LBR and their responsibilities. ASA RS 34 and 8-7-t.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)