Softball/Senior Softball

Question
Runners on 1st and 3rd base with one out.  Fly ball to outfield.  Runner on third tags while runner on first does not tag.  Runner at third scores before runner on first is thrown out at first for not tagging, thus the third out of the inning.  Question- does the run count (runner from third)?

Answer
Hi Gary,

In all games of softball not just Senior, the run would always count if it is scored before the appeal.  Many people mistake this play as a "force out" and it is NOT!  It is considered a "timing play"  The appeal can be either a live or dead ball appeal but it is still a timing play.   ASA RS1-k

Of course on a legitimate 3rd out that is a force play, no run can score regardless if it is scored before the play and called out.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose