Softball/Senior Softball

Runners on 1st and 3rd base with one out.  Fly ball to outfield.  Runner on third tags while runner on first does not tag.  Runner at third scores before runner on first is thrown out at first for not tagging, thus the third out of the inning.  Question- does the run count (runner from third)?

Hi Gary,

In all games of softball not just Senior, the run would always count if it is scored before the appeal.  Many people mistake this play as a "force out" and it is NOT!  It is considered a "timing play"  The appeal can be either a live or dead ball appeal but it is still a timing play.   ASA RS1-k

Of course on a legitimate 3rd out that is a force play, no run can score regardless if it is scored before the play and called out.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)