Softball/ASA softball

Runner on 3'rd, batter hit single to outfield. BR safe at first rounds first, I have obstruction on first baseman. Throw from outfield gets by cather after runner has touched home plate. Ball then hits on deck batter and goes out of play? What do we have? IS is iterference by on deck batter? What do we do with obstructed br, rounding first heading to second? Rule number pertaining to this? THanks

Hi Jan,

We protect the runner to the base they would have made in our judgment had they not been obstructed.  This would not be interference by the odb unless they interfered with F2's opportunity to make a out. If not we have a blocked ball, dead ball runner's return to last base touched at the time of the blocked ball.

So we have an obstruction rule, interference rule and blocked ball rule all to understand on 1 play.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)