Softball/ASA softball

Question
Runner on 3'rd, batter hit single to outfield. BR safe at first rounds first, I have obstruction on first baseman. Throw from outfield gets by cather after runner has touched home plate. Ball then hits on deck batter and goes out of play? What do we have? IS is iterference by on deck batter? What do we do with obstructed br, rounding first heading to second? Rule number pertaining to this? THanks

Answer
Hi Jan,

We protect the runner to the base they would have made in our judgment had they not been obstructed.  This would not be interference by the odb unless they interfered with F2's opportunity to make a out. If not we have a blocked ball, dead ball runner's return to last base touched at the time of the blocked ball.

So we have an obstruction rule, interference rule and blocked ball rule all to understand on 1 play.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose