Softball/ASA softball

Question
Dr. Mark Obstruction we protect runner between two bases obstructed occured. Runner obstructed between 2'nd and 3'rd.  He was thrown out at home, in my opinion he would have easily made it if not for the obstruction. Do we put him back on third, or is he out since he is past the base we protect him too?

Answer
Hi Jan,

There are 3 things we do with obstruction

1) by rule the runner cannot be out out between the bases they were obstructed (interference excepted)
2) We protect them to the base they would have made in our judgment had they not been obstructed
3)If they go past the base we would have protected them to, it is at there own risk.

In your case since your judgment was they would have made home had they not be obstructed,you protect them to that base, not just 3rd.

In this case the correct mechanic after the play is not to call out or safe but time, I have obstruction and the runner is awarded home.

Mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose