Softball/bunting

Question
What are the rules on bunting? 2 outs, at bat player with 2 strikes  hits a foul bunt then called out. Ump said out because you can't bunt on two strikes. I hadn't heard that before. Another ump said that's wrong, and not ASA rules. Please clarify?

Answer
Hi Michelle,

You certainly can bunt with 2 strikes however you are risking the following.  The 2nd opinion you asked for should next time come from a much more experienced knowledgeable umpire.  Tell them to study ASA 7-6-g "The batter is out....when the batter bunts foul after the 2nd strike."

It is a long standing basic rule of the game.

Mark

I might have read part of the q wrong....If the PU called the batter out simply for bunting w/ 2 strikes and NOT that because the bunt went foul and the 2nd opinion said that PU umpire was wrong the 2nd umpire would be correct that the PU was in error on that rule.

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose