Softball/Catcher verbal interference?

Slo-Pitch softball is the game. I have been playing slo-pich for 40 years and have never ran across this before. I understand normal base ball chatter from the catcher. In this case the catcher says nothing but basically barks loudly in your ear just as you are swinging the bat. It is very disconcerting to the batter.
 The umpire says there is no rule against it but baseball etiquette would suggest telling the catcher to stop.

Is there a rule and if not does the umpire have the power to stop this.

Hi Rick,

This would not be interference (offense) or obstruction (defense) and "chatter" is ok but if it crosses the line as your OP suggests and a warning doesn't work I can use USC with an ejection and that's probably my 1st choice but a PU should be able to get this under control very quickly and not have to use any serious sanction.

Or I could use ASA 6-5-b a fielder shall not....act in a manner to distract the batter.  
Penalty is ejection,illegal pitch w/ it's penalties.  But USC works just as well or better.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)