Softball/Co-Ed Slowpitch

Can you clarify for me, how much of a fielder's feet have to be in the playing area when taking a catch? Can one foot be completely out of play if part of the other foot is at least in contact with the out of play line?Or do both feet have to be at least in contact with the out of play line? Or must both feet have no contact whatsoever with the out of play area?

Hi Mike,

In order to have a legal catch, if a player has a foot or both feet touching any part of the line the player is in the field of play and may make a legal catch.

If a foot is on the ground in dbt not touching any part of the line a legal catch cannot be made.

If a player has a foot on the line and the other in the air a legal catch can be made.  If the foot then touches in dbt not touching any part of the line AFTER the catch is secured the catch is still legal but the ball is dead and any runners is awarded 1 base.

if a player goes into the air completely from lbt and secures the catch BEFORE any touching of the ground in dbt the catch is legal. (think of falling over a fence on this one) the ball is dead and any runners are awarded 1 base.

Any bobble, juggle, non secure ball, etc. upon touching the ground in dbt and it would not be a legal catch

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)