Softball/coaches interference

Question
Our third baseman ran into the third base coach while running toward a catchable pop-up foul ball. The coach remained in her coaches box but did not make an attempt to move to avoid contact with our third baseman. What should the call have been?

Answer
Hi Terry,

The coaches box just like the batter's box is not a sanctuary.  A fielder must be given the opportunity to field a batted ball anywhere on the field /out being hindered. Without seeing it the chances are very, very high I would have a dead ball, interference and the batter is out.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose