Softball/Protested call of umpire's interpretation of rule

Question
Hi Dr. Ambrose! My question is regarding a protest that was made at the time of the infraction in the 3rd inning of a slow pitch softball game when a runner was hit with a batted ball in front of the defensive player. As I verified by reading your previous answers, I protested the game when the umpire awarded the runner on 3rd base to score a run at home, instead of returning to 3rd base. Both teams continued to play the remaining innings of the game. If my protest is upheld, is the correct ruling for the game to be replayed at the point of the protest with the same base runners and batting order, unless the girl can not physically be at the rescheduled game.

Answer
Hi Julie,

Yes if you lost the game, and your protest made properly as you state should be upheld you restart the game at the exact point of the protest and a legal sub can be used for the the batter or anyone else.

The correct ruling is R1 hit by a fair batted ball while on the base,can advance only if forced by the b-r being awarded 1st base.  I don't know why the PU would think R1 should be awarded home.

If you won the game the protest is moot.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose