Softball/Tag up question

One out...runners on second and third.  Runners tag on a fly out.  Runner from third scored and runner from 2nd didn't properly tag.  The fly out was out # 2 and the out at second was out # 3.
The run was disallowed. Was that the right call?

Hi Bill,

sorry for the delay AE did not notify me of your question.

No that was absolutely NOT the correct call if R1 scored before the appeal of R2 leaving early.  This is a "timing" play and not a force out.  There is no force anywhere because the b-r was retired on the fly ball and you can only have a force out if the the b-r forces you to vacate the base.

This is a very basic rule of the game and by disallowing the run to score you could have brought out the "P" word.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)