Softball/weather delays

our game was called in the 6th inning due to rain during our asa tournament. By regulation the game is over correct?? doesn't matter if it is tournament play??

Hi Leslie,

Not necessarily.  I've umpired and also UICed many tournies from F to A, men women and coed.

In any ASA tournie I've done as either if it is at all possible we want to complete the game.  Sometimes it's not and in this case the leader at the end of 5 would be the winner.

The tournie director (almost always w/ input from the UIC) will determine if the game is called w/ a winner or if we try to complete the game.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)