Softball/slow pitch

Question
Batter hits ball to 3rd--bobbles ball--throws to 1st. Batter clearly beats the throw BUT batter misses 1st.

Is this an appeal play?
or does umpire rule "OUT" stating "batter missed 1st"

Thanks,
Greg

Answer
Hi Greg,  

It's easy to understand this play if you understand the the rule.

By rule a runner passing a base is considered to have touched the base, so a runner missing a base but ahead of the throw a "safe" call is made if any call is necessary.

This must be an appeal play by the defense before the runner returns to the base.  If no appeal or the runner has returned to the base the runner is safe.  The umpires in our game do not make the call without an appeal.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose