Softball/slow pitch

Batter hits ball to 3rd--bobbles ball--throws to 1st. Batter clearly beats the throw BUT batter misses 1st.

Is this an appeal play?
or does umpire rule "OUT" stating "batter missed 1st"

Hi Greg,  

It's easy to understand this play if you understand the the rule.

By rule a runner passing a base is considered to have touched the base, so a runner missing a base but ahead of the throw a "safe" call is made if any call is necessary.

This must be an appeal play by the defense before the runner returns to the base.  If no appeal or the runner has returned to the base the runner is safe.  The umpires in our game do not make the call without an appeal.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)