Softball/runner interference

bases loaded, 1 out, ball hit to shortstop. In attempting to throw home runner from 2nd base runs into shortstop in the act of throwing to home. Umpire called runner out from 2nd base but awarded the run because he said she would have been safe. The runner was about half way from 3rd base. Is there a judgement clause on this situation?

Hi Mark,

This is a basic interference rule and the umpire got it wrong.  This is not a judgment call.

When we have interference we have an immediate dead ball.  The runner who interfered is out and all runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

The only way R1 could score is if they had already touched hp at the time of the interference.

The "P" word should have been brought out here.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)