Softball/runner interference

Question
bases loaded, 1 out, ball hit to shortstop. In attempting to throw home runner from 2nd base runs into shortstop in the act of throwing to home. Umpire called runner out from 2nd base but awarded the run because he said she would have been safe. The runner was about half way from 3rd base. Is there a judgement clause on this situation?

Mark

Answer
Hi Mark,

This is a basic interference rule and the umpire got it wrong.  This is not a judgment call.

When we have interference we have an immediate dead ball.  The runner who interfered is out and all runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.

The only way R1 could score is if they had already touched hp at the time of the interference.

The "P" word should have been brought out here.

mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose