Softball/softball rule

if a battered ball hits the pitchers plate and bounds foul with out any one touching it is a fair or foul ball?

Hi Moose,

It is a "foul ball" by definition....

"Foul ball":  a batted ball that....hits the pitcher's plate and rolls untouched to foul territory before reaching 1st or 3rd base.

Now if it hit the pp and went foul after passing or touches 1st or 3rd base that would be a fair ball.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)