Softball/Dropped 3rd strike

QUESTION: Runner on 3rd. 2 outs Batter has 2-2 count.  Next pitch she swings for strike 3.  Catcher does not catch the ball.  Batter heads to the dugout.Runner on 3rd runs home The defense makes a play on the runner.  Runner from 3rd safe.  Batter now steps in the dugout and is now officially out.  Does the run score?  Would this now become a timing Play? or is the out still considered a force and no score?

ANSWER: Hi Theresa,

By rule (ASA 5-5) anytime a b-r does not safely achieve 1st base w/ 2 out no run can score.  So in this case the run does not count.  By definition NO play at 1st is a force play but we in reality treat it as one. (that's umpire jargon)

QUESTION: That is what I thought.  It has been a topic of discussion among my group.  One saying that in NCAA there is an exception. I could not find it    Thank you

Hi Theresa,

This is an ASA answer, I'm sorry I'm not a NCAA umpire but I did look it up for you and it is the same as ASA....NCAA 6.1.3 No run shall be scored if the third out of an inning is the result of: A batter-runner being called out before reaching first base

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)