Softball/Senior Softball Batter's Box

Question
Dr. Ambrose:  B1 stands in batter's box with heal of the right foot outside the white outline of the box.  Pitch is made. B1 swings and gets a base hit.  The umpire calls B1 out for being outside the batter's box.  Was this the correct call?

Answer
Hi Gary,

It doesn't matter senior play or not the rule is the same.  Before the pitch the batter must be fully w/in the lines of the bb.  A foot may touch the line but no part of the foot may be outside the line.

That being said there is no provision in the rules to call the batter out.  The umpire should have instructed the batter to be fully in the box before allowing a pitch.  If the batter was called out for simply having part of the foot outside the lines of the bb prior to the pitch that is incorrect and subject to the "P" word.  

Only if the entire foot is outside of the lines on the ground or is touching hp when contact with the ball is made do we have a dead ball, out.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose