Softball/Co-ed Slowpitch softball

Question
QUESTION: Hi Mark,
What would happen if a third base coach interfered with a third baseman trying to catch a fly-ball? And there was a runner on third base? Would the third base runner also be out, along with the batter-runner?
Many thanks. Mike

ANSWER: Hi Mike,

I assume this is a fly ball in foul territory.  We have a dead ball, runner closest to home is out and a foul ball/strike on the batter. This supposes the ball was catch-able

As a side note ..If a runner causes interference, the runner is out and the b-r can be out in a few certain circumstances. IE... If a runner caused interference instead of a coach in your OP the runner would be out and the batter could also be called out if the ball was catch-able with ordinary effort.  The b-r is usually awarded 1st base when another runner causes interference and any other runners advance only if forced.

Mark

QUESTION: Just to clarify the answer, it is only the runner closest to home who is out then? Unless the ball was catchable and then the batter -runner is also out?
Mike

Answer
Hi Mike,

Yes when it is a coach only the runner closest to home is out, that can be the batter if no one is on.

When a runner interferes the runner is out and in ASA the batter can also be out if the ball was catch-able.  You can get a two-fer only with a runner

mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose