Softball/Umpire talking on his phone during live play.

I play in an over 65 league in Grand Prairie, Texas. One of our umpires talks on his phone while making calls on the field. When he makes a bad call on the bases, he tells us that "if we played better, the bad call wouldn't matter". Complained to locals with no avail. We take these games seriously and this guy insults our playing the game. What can be done?

Hi Ricky,

Well I think this umpire's behavior is extremely unprofessional and his comments beyond the pale.  

If you are playing in a sanctioned league such as ASA you can go to the district commish and the district UIC, both should be involved and be able to handle the situation.  If you are unhappy with their actions you can go to the State UIC and State commish.  Just one of the great benefits of playing in a sanctioned league is that in my experience ASA takes player's concerns seriously.  

If you are not playing in a sanctioned league all you can do is go to the softball supervisor (or someone similar) and state your concerns.  If you are unhappy there there might be an AD or rec supervisor you can talk to.  Other than that ????

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)