Softball/blocking home plate ASA slow pitch

Question
So much confusion on this, can you clarify?

For example can a catch stand on home plate with receiving a though?

If he does and doest have the ball can the runner then legally run into him?

In general what is the rule?

Answer
Hi Pete,

No defensive player can block a base without possession of the ball and impede the runner.  That is obstruction.  In ASA receiving the ball or about to receive the ball doesn't matter they cannot block any base without actual possession of the ball.

w/out the ball the runner is entitled to the base and cannot be impeded.  Only if the runner is flagrant in their act they could be called out and/or ejected for USC.

with the ball the runner cannot remain upright and crash into the defensive player, we have an out and ejection if fragrant. 8-7-q

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose