Softball/blocking home plate ASA slow pitch

So much confusion on this, can you clarify?

For example can a catch stand on home plate with receiving a though?

If he does and doest have the ball can the runner then legally run into him?

In general what is the rule?

Hi Pete,

No defensive player can block a base without possession of the ball and impede the runner.  That is obstruction.  In ASA receiving the ball or about to receive the ball doesn't matter they cannot block any base without actual possession of the ball.

w/out the ball the runner is entitled to the base and cannot be impeded.  Only if the runner is flagrant in their act they could be called out and/or ejected for USC.

with the ball the runner cannot remain upright and crash into the defensive player, we have an out and ejection if fragrant. 8-7-q

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)