Softball/Removal of batting helmet

Question
High school, girls. Tie game, bottom of 7th, two outs bases empty. Batter hits ball over center field fence for "winning" run. As she rounds second base she removes her batting helmet and tosses it in the air in celebration. After she touches home plate, opposing coach approaches plate umpire. Moments later batter is declared out and run does not score. Ruling was that the batter/runner cannot purposely remove their helmet while running the bases.    Was this the correct call?

Answer
Hi Troy,

NO it was not and the "P" word should have come out immediately!!  You cannot remove your helmet during a "live ball" situation but this is a dead ball once it cleared the fence and entered dead ball territory.  The run should score.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose