Softball/play at plate

In a recent coed ASA league game, the runner on 2nd base tried to score on a hit to the outfield.  The throw was relayed to home by the third baseman and was caught by the pitcher who was covering home.  The pitcher was in the baseline.  It was a bang bang play with the ball arriving to the pitcher and the base runner arriving at the same time.  I have read in other responses from you that this would be a "crash" situation, and no interference or obstruction would be called.  It may also be one of those plays where you would have to see it to make a determination.

Please let me know what you think.

Hi Charles,

You live in OK, I hope you watch the CWWS at OK City from time to time. I umpired in the HOF stadium quite a while ago, beautiful place to play ball.

Re: your q is probably is a HTBT situation but if the ball, the offense and the defense all arrive at the same time and the same spot it is a crash and a no call.  F1 cannot block the baseline w/out the ball and cause the runner to slow down or change direction that would be obstruction.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)