Softball/Softball Umpiring Mechanics

Question
Good evening Dr. Ambrose. You have added to my umpiring knowledge. My Question is, R2 on 2nd base, BU is situated a little to left and behind the SS. Ground ball is hit and fielded; on the throw to F3 to get BR out,the runner steps on the white part of Safety base. Now does the PU call it right away if he sees it or if BU calls BR safe; is an APPEAL play needed with a consultation between PU and BU, and then BU reverses his own to an OUT????

Answer
Hi Richard,

As you know in this situation you have the first throw,as soon as you see F6 is throwing to 1st you should try to move and get a little closer even if its a step or two, if the situation requires a safe call you give one, then it is an appeal by the defense before the runner returns.  You are a long way from 1st but it is your call.  The PU has the throw back to 3rd and should be about 1/3 down the 3rd base line watching play develop.  They don't have a great look at first.

If YOU feel you were blocked out or something similar you can go the PU for a consult if you want, you don't have to.  Regardless of what they say it is still your call.  IMHO they have a more disadvantaged view than you do, any part of the orange touched is valid and we never guess an out.

So that's the mechanics.  

Mark  

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose