Softball/ASA Girl's Fastpitch - Dropped bat contacts ball

This situation doesn't happen often, but it did come up in a game last night and we were wondering what the details are.  

I am attempting to understand the ball hits bat or bat hits ball in fair or foul thing.  And I am having trouble finding the rules in the rule book that cover this issue. And I love knowing where the rules are in the book.

First of all, is it this simple?
After the batter hits the ball and drops the bat, if ball hits bat or bat hits ball in foul territory it's just a foul ball and ball is dead.

If the same thing happens in fair territory, then if the ball hits the bat, live ball no real issue here?  But if the bat hits the ball then it is interference with batter out and dead ball?  

Next question.  If both the bat and the ball are moving when contact is made, is that considered bat hitting ball or ball hitting bat, or ???

Last Question. Where in the rule book is this addressed.

Thanks in Advance.  And thanks for all the questions you answer, it is greatly appreciated.

Hi Doug,

first of all ASA 7-6-m and RS 24

1) correct both are foul, dead ball

2)correct ball hit bat, live ball, the ball can be untimely fair OR foul depending.. , bat hits ball, dead ball out.

3) depends,,,that's why umpires get the big bucks to make a call on that.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)