Softball/Fastpitch softball pitching

My granddaughter has pitching windups were she starts with both hands at her sides. Then winds them back and forward putting them together then and over head. Someone says she has to start with them together and not at her sides.

Hi Brian,

No, No and No.. She Must step on the pp with her hands separated, once the hands come together the pitch starts.  She can do most anything she wants BEFORE the hands come together.

If she is going to pitch she needs proper instruction.  FP has a lot of rules that need to be understood.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)