Softball/Timing Play

Question
Here is the situation.

Based loaded, one out.  Batter lofts a long fly ball to right center where it caught.  The runner from third tags and scores.  The runner from first runs almost all the way to second.  The throw goes into first base where the runner is doubled off.  However, the runner on third crossed the plate before the third out is made.  The run was taken off the board.

I say  it is a timing play and run should have counted.  Their premise for not counting the run is that the runner on first didn't tag up.  What would tagging up have to do with anything anyway?

Answer
Hi Wayne,

You are absolutely correct, this is a timing play and NOT a force.  As long as R1 scores before the live ball appeal of R2 the run scores.  This is a very basic rule and a common softball situation.  The "P" word should have been brought out immediately.  Any umpire should know better.

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose