Softball/throwing the bat / throwing the catchers helmet

i have 2 question. 1. what is the ASA rule for a batter throwing the bat? what are the umps options if she continues to throw the bat. 2nd. is there any rule on throwing off the catchers helmet. we have a very aggressive catcher and the UMP is warning her about throwing her mask. thank Brent

Good morning Brent,
I assume you are talking about a player who throws their bat after hitting the ball.  You cannot go to the rule book and look up "throwing a bat", there is no such rule.......however we all need to be safe out there.
Some umpires call an out...but there is no such authorization in the book and under ASA rules a good UIC would uphold a protest of such a call.

Different umpires handle it differently.  If the bat doesn't touch the catcher or myself I would give ONE warning.  After that I'm going to eject the player based on  "unsportsmanlike-like conduct"  but whatever play happened would stand.  

I'm not sure what you mean by the catcher throwing their mask.  Can you give me more information?

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)