Softball/throwing the bat / throwing the catchers helmet

Question
i have 2 question. 1. what is the ASA rule for a batter throwing the bat? what are the umps options if she continues to throw the bat. 2nd. is there any rule on throwing off the catchers helmet. we have a very aggressive catcher and the UMP is warning her about throwing her mask. thank Brent

Answer
Good morning Brent,
I assume you are talking about a player who throws their bat after hitting the ball.  You cannot go to the rule book and look up "throwing a bat", there is no such rule.......however we all need to be safe out there.
Some umpires call an out...but there is no such authorization in the book and under ASA rules a good UIC would uphold a protest of such a call.

Different umpires handle it differently.  If the bat doesn't touch the catcher or myself I would give ONE warning.  After that I'm going to eject the player based on  "unsportsmanlike-like conduct"  but whatever play happened would stand.  

I'm not sure what you mean by the catcher throwing their mask.  Can you give me more information?

Mark

Softball

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose