Softball/travesty of the game

I play in a women's league and at tonight game we were ahead 21-3. I was on second base with no one on 3rd. Ball hit I advanced to 3rd. With no one on second I was not forced again. Knowing the score was already high I did not want to run up the score. Ball was hit to RC and I got off 5 steps but turned back to 3rd. Ball did come into the infield fast. Umpire called time and told me that I could cause a forfeit because of travesty of the game. He said I had to score on a base hit even though I was not forced. Is this so?

Hi Debbie,

A good umpire..."umpires when they have to umpire".  I don't think this is a scenario when we have to umpire.

An umpire can call you out for making travesty of the game (and this is not a tog situation) but can't call a forfeit unless there is no sub to take your place.  Plus I think a USC or delay of game a little much here, ok maybe a lot much here.

I know of no rule that "forces you" to score on this particular play....if pushed by the umpire....maybe you had a cramp in your leg and didn't think you could make a worst case situation, protest the game.

Dr. Mark R. Ambrose

I can answer all questions about book rules and "case book" rules governing the playing of ASA softball. Have a REAL situation that happened and are not sure the proper rule was applied, ask me.

I am a registered ASA umpire, a MASA "At-Large" umpire since 1996 and a retired District Umpire-In-Chief. I have very extensive experience in MASA State Championship and ASA national qualifying tournament play both as an umpire and an Umpire-In-Chief. I completed 3 ASA National Schools including the ASA national advanced umpire school in Ok City("Bernie" for those who know him was the lead clinician, I survived the week and couldn't let my kids watch the game tapes when I got home. No, I love you Bernie). I was one of 4 "Yankee" umpires selected to umpire the Men's D National East Championship in 2002 in Winter Haven FL

Amateur Softball Association (The authority in softball)