Space and Astronomy for Kids/the sun

Dear Rangutan, I am 12 and I love space, but I would like to know why the sun always goes up and down in the sky instead of moving in a straight line? Thank you for your help.

hello Liz,
the Sun is very still and in the center of our solar system. We are going up and down as the Earth turns and the seasons go up and down as the Earth goes around the Sun.

Place a ballon in the center of the roon to represent the Sun. Now twist around on one spot and you will see the ballon only sometimes when you are facing it. That is day and when you are facing away from the balloon, that is night...

Space and Astronomy for Kids

All about the mysteries of space, history, current & planned projects, new theories and experiments. Also about Space-travel. I would like to encourage kids to learn about this and possibly join the new up-and-coming space race. Please feel free to ask any question as simple or complex as you wish!

I am a lifetime hobby astronomer from the age 11 mostly till 1990 in the Southern hemisphere, had a 8-inch, now mostly use the internet as my observation platform when not at the club.

BSc (Bachelor of Science) at the University of the Witwatersrand

Famous Sunrise Astrophoto:

Please vote for me if you wish. This is a loooong shot but could work? Each email-address may vote once. The capchas are hard but try again. Thanks!