Space Exploration/

My questions concerns the problems and limitations of interstellar space travel (from a layperson's point of view of course).   
I've noticed the many UFO reality type shows that are appearing on TV these days, and it got me thinking about how improbable the possibility of extraterrestrial earth visits are. The nearest star system with an intelligent life planet may be thousands of light years from earth, And, even if the inhabitants have the technology to achieve near light speed space travel, wouldn't the constraints of travel time, forces from acceleration experienced to just reach near light speed, and the task of finding such a relatively infinitesimally small planet like earth be a reality ?

Hi, Lee, thanks for writing.  Personally, I think that it would be difficult technology to travel between stars, as you said.  Those distances are unbelievable.  On the other hand, a lot of things go on in this world that cannot be explained.  I have never seen a UFO, but a competent friend has, and some of the astronauts have.  I don't think they can all be fake reports.  With about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe, I don't think that God only made one with life around it, but realize the distances involved.  I am sure that a lot of civilizations have far exceeded our technology, and may be traveling to some nearby stars.  I agree with both sides of the coin, as you, but feel that some civilizations may have that technology and life span.  Write anytime.

Space Exploration

Kenneth Renshaw

Answer basic space flight questions, research info on specific space flights. Answer questions on astronomy

Amateur astronomer and avid astronomy/space flight fan for 31 years.

Official NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador for Arkansas and Missouri (one of about 300 nationwide). (

Numerous local and area newspapers.