Spanish Language/Spanish

Question
Hello, My name is Katherine and I'm homeschooling my son in Freshman Spanish. I took a few years of Spanish back in High School, so I'm able to teach it pretty well, but I'm having trouble remembering the correct uses of ser and estar. I tried searching for it online, but I couldn't get it straight.
ra
In one of his worksheets, it gives a few sentences and says to use the present form of ser or estar to fill in the blank. I was hoping you could show me what the answers are, as well as a (very) brief explanation as to why that's the answer (ie. The first one is "es" because it's showing where he/she is from)

Mi maestro de español ____ de Argentina.
Él también ____ estudiando en la universidad.
Él ____ contento de vivir en Estados Unidos ahora.
Siempre dice que ____ importante hacer lo que te gusta.
Nos gusta mucho su clase porque ____ un buen maestro.

I hope it isn't too much to ask, you would be helping me help him a bunch. Thanks, Kathy

Answer
Hi Katherine,

Thanks your background about the question!  If you hadn't explained that you are a teacher who is home schooling, I probably would have refused to answer this as a "homework" question.  I hope my answers and explanations (in parenthesis) help!

Mi maestro de  español (es) de Argentina.  (Always use "ser" for nationalities and to say where someone is originally from... this is considered an inherent or permanent characteristic of a person that is best expressed with "ser")

Él también (está) estudiando en la universidad (To express the English progressive tense, for an action that is ongoing or in progress (he is studying, she is sleeping, etc.) , use "estar" + gerund (ando o iendo))

Él(está) contento de vivir en Estados Unidos ahora. (For a temporary emotional state or a temporary state of being, use "estar"... He is momentarily/temporarily happy about living in the U.S.)

Siempre dice que (es) importante hacer lo que te gusta. (To discuss general characteristics or truths, use "ser"....  It is important to, It's necessary to, It's fun to... all of these would use "ser")

Nos gusta mucho su clase porque (es) un buen maestro. (This is a pretty permanent characteristic or description of the teacher, so use "ser."  He is always or generally a good teacher.... If it were something temporary, like "Today he is in a bad mood", then you would use "estar" instead).

Best of luck,

Brandee  

Spanish Language

Brandee Strickland