Spanish Language/Spanish

Question
Hello, My name is Katherine and I'm homeschooling my son in Freshman Spanish. I took a few years of Spanish back in High School, so I'm able to teach it pretty well, but I'm having trouble remembering the correct uses of ser and estar. I tried searching for it online, but I couldn't get it straight.
ra
In one of his worksheets, it gives a few sentences and says to use the present form of ser or estar to fill in the blank. I was hoping you could show me what the answers are, as well as a (very) brief explanation as to why that's the answer (ie. The first one is "es" because it's showing where he/she is from)

Mi maestro de español ____ de Argentina.
Él también ____ estudiando en la universidad.
Él ____ contento de vivir en Estados Unidos ahora.
Siempre dice que ____ importante hacer lo que te gusta.
Nos gusta mucho su clase porque ____ un buen maestro.

I hope it isn't too much to ask, you would be helping me help him a bunch. Thanks, Kathy

Answer
Hi, Katherine. You're right about #1! A general rule of thumb is that estar is used for feelings/conditions (I am happy/it is dirty#, location #We are in Spain#, and -ing #-ando/-iendo#(They are playing#. Ser is pretty much everything else, which includes origin #We are from Spain#, characteristics #I am tall and shy/it is good#, telling time #It's 8:00-son las ocho# and something called predicate nominative, which is stating that something/someone = something/someone #he is a good teacher- he=good teacher.
2. Él está estudiando #-ing/-ando#(present progressive##estar#
3. Él está contento #feeling##estar#
4. Siempre dice que es importante #characteristic##ser#
5. #Él# es un buen maestro. #he=good teacher)#ser)

Hope this helps. :)

Spanish Language

Marcia