Spanish Language/Spanish

Hello, My name is Katherine and I'm homeschooling my son in Freshman Spanish. I took a few years of Spanish back in High School, so I'm able to teach it pretty well, but I'm having trouble remembering the correct uses of ser and estar. I tried searching for it online, but I couldn't get it straight.
In one of his worksheets, it gives a few sentences and says to use the present form of ser or estar to fill in the blank. I was hoping you could show me what the answers are, as well as a (very) brief explanation as to why that's the answer (ie. The first one is "es" because it's showing where he/she is from)

Mi maestro de español ____ de Argentina.
Él también ____ estudiando en la universidad.
Él ____ contento de vivir en Estados Unidos ahora.
Siempre dice que ____ importante hacer lo que te gusta.
Nos gusta mucho su clase porque ____ un buen maestro.

I hope it isn't too much to ask, you would be helping me help him a bunch. Thanks, Kathy

Hi, Katherine. You're right about #1! A general rule of thumb is that estar is used for feelings/conditions (I am happy/it is dirty#, location #We are in Spain#, and -ing #-ando/-iendo#(They are playing#. Ser is pretty much everything else, which includes origin #We are from Spain#, characteristics #I am tall and shy/it is good#, telling time #It's 8:00-son las ocho# and something called predicate nominative, which is stating that something/someone = something/someone #he is a good teacher- he=good teacher.
2. Él está estudiando #-ing/-ando#(present progressive##estar#
3. Él está contento #feeling##estar#
4. Siempre dice que es importante #characteristic##ser#
5. #Él# es un buen maestro. #he=good teacher)#ser)

Hope this helps. :)

Spanish Language

I can't translate field-specific technical jargon.

I have taught Spanish for 23 years and have taken multiple trips to Mexico and Venezuela, including Studying several summers in Venezuela.

Foreign Language Teachers Assn.

BA and BSE in Spanish, MA in Education, Graduate studies in Spanish