Spanish Language/Spanish question

Question
rb1
First I'd like to say that I say your background on the Spanish expert's page and it is very impressive. My grandfather was born in Europe, but came to America when he was young and became a Spanish teacher. He passed away about a year ago, but he always said Spanish was the most beautiful language in the world. So I've been trying to pick up at least the basics of it on my own (I took French when I was in High School), mostly through online resources and a bit of Rosetta stone, but I'm not very good at learning languages.

Today, I'm working on reflexive verbs and I was hoping I you could assist me. I'm given the words: bañarse, despertarse, vestirse, irse, and cepillarse. I am told to insert them into this paragraph:

Marta ____ todos los días a las 7 a.m. Después escoge su ropa y ____ . Luego ____ para bajar a desayunar con sus papás. Después de desayunar, ____ los dientes. Cuando está lista, ____ a la escuela.

I know what the words mean and which slots they go in, but I'm having trouble properly converting them to be grammatically correct and was hoping you could show me how to do these examples so I can go through the rest of my practice easier. Thanks.

Answer
Hi Lucas,

Thank you very much for your question and the lovely compliment paid :)

Yes, reflexive verbs can be a bit of a tricky one for English speakers. Please see below for my answers:

Marta se despierta todos los días a las 7 a.m. Después escoge su ropa y se baña. Luego se viste para bajar a desayunar con sus papás. Después de desayunar, se cepilla los dientes. Cuando está lista, se va a la escuela.

Things to remember:
- Some verbs are 'stem changing in Spanish' which means that the main body of the verb changes in 1st,2nd, 3rd person singular and 3rd person plural. E.g. despertarse becomes se despierta
- With reflexive verbs, the pronoun will always go before the verb - e.g. me llamo, te llamas etc
- If the verb ending is 'arse', the conjugated ending will be 'a' for 3rd person singular
- If the verb ending is 'irse', the conjugated ending will be 'e' for 3rd person singular
- If the verb ending is 'erse', the conjugated ending will be 'e' for 3rd person singular

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Spanish Language

Lauren O' Hagan