Spanish Language/Verb conjugation

Question
I am taking an online college Spanish class and am confused at the conjugation in this sentence.  (Sorry, I left off the accents.)

A Lucia le encantan las peliculas de terror.  

When I first answered I followed English grammar thinking and thought Lucia was the subject, but now I'm wondering if peliculas is the subject.  How do I know when the English direct object is the subject and when what would be considered the English subject is the subject?  

Thank you for the help!

Answer
A Lucía le encantan las películas de terror.
You are correct in thinking that películas is the subject. The sentence literally means "Horror movies delight Lucía." or "Horror movies are delightful to Lucía." That is why the verb encantar is conjugated in the 3rd person plural (they) form. The "le" agrees with Lucía, who is an indirect object of the verb. (indirect object pronoun=Le=to her/him/it)If you wanted to say they love the movie, conjugate for the singular movie, and use the indirect object pronoun "les" Les encanta la película.(to them the movie is delightful)While it may seem redundant to include both "le: and "a Lucía," you must use an indirect object pronoun (le) here, even if there is a noun (Lucía). "A Lucía" is a clarification of "le" but not a substitute for it. This is also why "a" should precede any noun used as the direct object clarifier with this type of verb. Some people call these "backward verbs." Other "backward verbs" include gustar, parecer, and interesar. All are used with indirect object pronouns.
I have copied a link for you with more examples.  http://www.studyspanish.com/lessons/gustar.htm  

Spanish Language

Marcia