Spanish Language/te

There is a sog by Julio Iglesias with the lyrics:
Hay quien te hablará
de un mundo mejor....

Google translate:
Some people will talk
of a better world.

What does "te" mean in this context?
According to Wiktionary: you (familiar objective case form)
That can't be true in this context.

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad you care about understanding the lyrics better. :)  "Hablar" like the English verbs "Talk" and "Speak" can be transitive or intransitive (taking or not taking direct and indirect objects) and in this case the verb is associated with an object, "te", which generally goes before the verb it is linked to when that verb is conjugated.  So, a better translation of the sentence would be "There are those who will speak to you of a better world." Does it make more sense now? Hope so!

Spanish Language

Brandee Strickland

I can answer questions about the Spanish language itself, as I studied Spanish academically and also spent a significant amount of time living in Chile (as a teacher of English). I can also help with issues of translation, and with interpreting slang or other cultural anecdotes. As an experienced teacher, of both EFL and Spanish, I can answer questions as well about teaching, classroom practice, and the use of technology.

I am a native speaker of English but have studied Spanish since a young age, as well as living in Chile for 5 years. I learned Spanish as a student myself, and have also taught introductory and intermediate level Spanish courses both privately and at the University level. At the graduate level, I have studied linguistics and sociolinguistics, as well as focusing on language teaching and the use of technology in the classroom.

University of Calgary, Canada; Universidad de Concepcion, Chile

Strickland, B., & O'Brien, M. G. (2013). A Review of the Literature on Technology in Second and Foreign Language Learning. Calgary: University of Calgary. Strickland, B. (Summer 2012). Communities of practice in the language classroom: Theory and reality. ETAS Journal. Strickland, B. (2009). De Gardner a Bajtin: La comunicacion mediada por ordenador y su impacto en la clase de lenguas. University of Calgary (Canada), ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing. MR54572. Strickland, B. (2009). El mito de Narciso en la poesía española de los Siglos de Oro. Espéculos: Revista de estudios literarios, 40.

I have an undergraduate degree in Spanish and Psychology from Bowdoin College in the U.S. I completed an M.A. in Spanish and Second Language Acquisition and a PhD dissertation in the same field, both at the University of Calgary in Canada and currently working as an Assistant Professor at the Universidad de Concepción in Concepción, Chile.