Spanish Language/Varón vs Hombre

Question
QUESTION: What is the difference between Varón and Hómbre? When can you call someone Varón?

ANSWER: Hi Hank,

Interesting question!  The truth is, that for the most part, "varón" and "hombre" are synonyms, both referring to "humans of the male sex."  You might hear phrases like "ropa de varones" or "ropa de hombres" for men's clothing.

However, sociolinguistically, there are some differences that you can tease out, always depending on what community of speakers you are talking about.  For example, if you read Spanish, you can read this debate on the subtle differences between the two terms here: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=349270

Here are some of the differences/subtleties:
1) "Hombre" refers usually to adult (or possibly young adult) males, while "varón" can also be used to refer to babies and children (Ej: Mi bebé será varón.  or  Mi hijo va a un colegio de varones.)

2) "Varón" is sometimes thought of as being either more elegant, or more old-fashioned, and used more by older speakers.  (For example, the bathroom might be labeled as being for "varones" in a restaurant.)

3) Sometimes a "varón," or someone who is described as "muy varón," is a man/boy who is seen as particularly macho or masculine.  

You will notice in the discussion above, though, that there are varieties in usage by country and region, so there is no one answer that can tell you exactly what the differences are between the two words.  Just keep your ears open and pay attention to how you hear it used in the context where you will be using your Spanish.

I hope this is what you were looking for and let me know if I can help you further.

Saludos,

Brandee

QUESTION: so how would you translate this sentence: "Varón, pa'quererte mucho" ?

Answer
I guess you are talking about the lyrics from the tango "Milonga sentimental"?  In the context of the song, I think he is singing to a woman who has left him, and when he gets to that line, he saying that he is "A man who really loves you."  Since he is contrasting himself, as a man, with the fickle woman he loves who has forgotten and betrayed him, he might use the word "varón" to highlight his maleness/masculinity.  Also, I imagine that "varón" just sounds better in the song than "hombre" would.  

Are you trying to translate it just to understand the lyrics?  In that case, I think what I wrote above works.  If you are trying to translate it so that you can sing the song, but in English, then you'll have to look at the rhythm, etc. to see what sounds best!  

Spanish Language

Brandee Strickland