Spanish Language/spanish 2

Question
how would i complete with ser or estar?
como __? Yo ___  muy bien. Yo___ Mercedes Picado. ___ de Costa Rica. Vivo en un apartamento en San Jose, la capital. Mi apartamento __ muy grande y moderno. Mi apartamento __ en el segundo piso. Mi edificio no __ muy alto. Tiene cuatro pisos solamente. Mi familia no __ muy grande. Nosotros __ cuatro: mis padres, mi hermana y yo. Y tu familia, Juana, ___ grande o peguena?Escribeme pronto, Mercedes

Answer
    Hi Natasha,

It sounds like this is a homework assignment, which I can't just give you the answers to.  I can tell you about the uses of "ser" and "estar" so that you can fill it in, though!

Both would often be translated into English as "to be", but:
1) "ser" is used to express more inherent conditions, such as nationality (where you are from), characteristics of a person or thing that are somewhat permanent (such as "tall, large, intelligent, etc.), the time of day, days and dates of the week, and for counting, etc.

2) On the other hand, "estar" is generally used to describe characteristics that are less permanent, or subject to frequent change, such as how you feel on a given day, or something that has recently changed (like... you're so tall now! vs.  You're a tall person.).  One exception that doesn't fall within this rule is location; although a person's location might change, the location of a building or floor of a house, etc. doesn't really change, but you still use "estar" for both of those.  

Both "ser" and "estar" need to be conjugated in the present tense and follow these conjugations.

Ser: yo soy, tú eres, él/ella/usted (and the equivalent of "it") es, nosotros somos, vosotros sois, ellos/ellas/ustedes son

Estar: yo estoy, tú  estás, él/ella/usted está, nosotros estamos, vosotros estáis, ellos/ellas/ustedes están

If you want to try to fill in the blanks and re-send, I am happy to give you feedback.

Best,

Brandee

Spanish Language

Brandee Strickland