Spanish Language/querer translations

Question
what is the difference between quisiera tener mucho tiempo and quiero tener mucho tiempo?

Answer
Hi Julie,

Thanks for your question.

'Quiero' is the simple present tense expressing in this case the simple fact that 'I want to have a lot of time.'

'Quisiera' is actually the imperfect subjunctive often used to express situations of doubt, desire and emotion. In the sample phrase, a translation could be 'I wish I had a lot of time' or simply 'I would like to have a lot of time.'

To give you another few examples:
Quisiera pedirte un favor (I would like to ask you a favour) compared with Quiero pedirte un favor (I want to ask you a favour). Here, quisiera is used to give a more formal/polite edge to what you are saying.

Quisiera estar contigo (I wish/would like to be with you) compared with Quiero estar contigo (I want to be with you)

Quisiera vivir en Francia (I wish/would like to live in France) compared with Quiero vivir en Francia (I want to live in France)

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren  

Spanish Language

Lauren O' Hagan