Spanish Language/spanish translation explanation

My friend and I (neighbors actually) have become close and often help each other out.  However he speaks Spanish and I speak English.  Quite often things get lost in translation but he sent me a note last week that said "Eres lo mejor que hay en mi vida"  this week he sent me a note that said "eres lo mejor de mi vida"  they are very similar but I'm wondering if they have different meanings and if so what they are?  It's hard for him to explain the little differences to me and visa versa

Hi Julie!

I would say that the meaning of the two phrases is the same; it's just two slightly different structures to express the same idea.

1. Eres lo mejor que hay en mi vida... vs. Eres lo mejor de mi vida.  
   --In both sentences we have the verb "ser", conjugated for "you/Tú", which is "eres"= "you are"
   --In both sentences we have "lo mejor", which is "the best"
   --In both sentences we have "mi vida", with is "my life"
   --So, the only difference is that the first sentence includes the verb "hay" (the infinitive,   non-conjugated form is "haber", and the present tense conjugation is "hay"), which in English means something like "there is/there are." So the sentence = "You are the best there is in my life"
    --The second sentence doesn't have the verb "haber", but instead just the preposition "de", which means something like "of/in"... so, the second sentence means "You are the best of/in my life"

--In English we would usually express both of those sentences with the noun "thing"... so "You are the best thing (there is) in my life" but in Spanish, because the neutral article "lo" is there, we can drop the noun and just leave "lo mejor"  (the best...) and the idea of "the best thing/person/part, etc." is implied.

Does that help?  I would say he's fond of you ;)

Spanish Language

Brandee Strickland

I can answer questions about the Spanish language itself, as I studied Spanish academically and also spent a significant amount of time living in Chile (as a teacher of English). I can also help with issues of translation, and with interpreting slang or other cultural anecdotes. As an experienced teacher, of both EFL and Spanish, I can answer questions as well about teaching, classroom practice, and the use of technology.

I am a native speaker of English but have studied Spanish since a young age, as well as living in Chile for 5 years. I learned Spanish as a student myself, and have also taught introductory and intermediate level Spanish courses both privately and at the University level. At the graduate level, I have studied linguistics and sociolinguistics, as well as focusing on language teaching and the use of technology in the classroom.

University of Calgary, Canada; Universidad de Concepcion, Chile

Strickland, B., & O'Brien, M. G. (2013). A Review of the Literature on Technology in Second and Foreign Language Learning. Calgary: University of Calgary. Strickland, B. (Summer 2012). Communities of practice in the language classroom: Theory and reality. ETAS Journal. Strickland, B. (2009). De Gardner a Bajtin: La comunicacion mediada por ordenador y su impacto en la clase de lenguas. University of Calgary (Canada), ProQuest, UMI Dissertations Publishing. MR54572. Strickland, B. (2009). El mito de Narciso en la poesía española de los Siglos de Oro. Espéculos: Revista de estudios literarios, 40.

I have an undergraduate degree in Spanish and Psychology from Bowdoin College in the U.S. I completed an M.A. in Spanish and Second Language Acquisition and a PhD dissertation in the same field, both at the University of Calgary in Canada and currently working as an Assistant Professor at the Universidad de Concepción in Concepción, Chile.